I know from personal experience that getting a blister on your feet after a soccer game is the worst thing ever. That’s why I always choose to pay extra dollars on soccer socks just to prevent that from happening.
Another reason for wearing only the best soccer socks in the market is to prevent feet slippage during the game. It’s really hard to show your best performance when your feet keeps slipping inside the sock and the sock inside the shoe.
This guide will help you find the most comfortable soccer sock that will protect your feet and help you improve your performance on the pitch.
Best Soccer Socks To Buy In 2018
Understanding The Science Behind Soccer Socks
Not all socks are created equal.
That’s what I’ll try to explain to you in this section.
A good pair of soccer socks comes with several advanced features that regular socks can’t dream of. Features such as protection from bacteria, scratches and blisters, zero slippage and more importantly total comfort.
In this section, we’ll go through the material that socks are made of, types of socks and which features to look for in a soccer shoe.
Materials of Soccer Socks
One of the main elements that you should pay attention to is the materials used in making the socks.
There are dozens of materials that manufacturers use to make the socks that we see in the market. However, the most common types are cotton and wool alongside with synthetic fabrics like Polyester.
But, one thing to keep in mind here is that there’s no way a sock can be 100% made using one single type of material. There’s always a combination between several types of fabric.
- Cotton is well-known for being very comfortable for the feet. Nevertheless, cotton absorbs sweat which can be a serious problem in a hot climate and can be a perfect recipe for blisters.
- Wool: Its biggest advantage is that it’s a fabric that is thermostatic (temperature-regulating) which means that your feet can stay comfortable in different temperatures. The downside is that it’s expensive.
- Synthetic fabrics: That’s actually what most of the high quality socks are made of. Manufacturers combine different materials to provide the maximum comfort and agility. An example of these synthetic fibers is polyester which is a polymer that can breathe better than cotton. If you ever heard of Nike’s “DRI-Fit” material, that’s actually polyester. Other types of synthetic are spandex and nylon.
If this seems complicated to you, then that makes two of us.
But don’t worry, you don’t need to understand all of this.
Types of Soccer Socks
Based on the criteria of height, there are two main types of soccer socks.
- Knee-high or over the calf socks: This is the most common type that is used in professional soccer players all over the world. As their name suggests, these socks are very long to provide complete protection to the player.
- Crew cut socks: These socks are shorter than the previous type. They only cover the shin guard and don’t reach your knees. Some players prefer this type because it gives them more agility. However, this type is less safe than over the calf socks.
What Features To Look For In Soccer Socks?
- Non-slip feature: If you really care about your performance on the field, you should take this feature seriously. Basically, this feature means that the socks are made in a way (Mostly, using pads) to make sure that your feet doesn’t slip in your shoe when moving. This is a crucial feature that makes soccer socks definitely worth the extra dollars.
- Compression technology: It provides supportive fit around your foot which eliminates any sort of discomfort that the player may experience when he’s moving.
- Breathability: It’s very important to only choose socks that are made using fabrics that allow your feet to breath. This feature makes sure that your feet stay as dry as possible even in high temperature.
- Seamless: Wearing a pair of socks that has seams can be extremely uncomfortable for your toes. That’s why It’s always better to get seamless socks.
- Cushioning: This refers usually to the bottom part of your sock which has a direct contact with your cleats. You would want to make sure that the socks come with a good cushioning for maximum comfort and protection.
How To Avoid Blisters By Choosing The Right Soccer Socks
I know that blisters are terrible. I’ve been there multiple times. They really suck and nobody should ever go though the discomfort that blisters create.
Since it’s an important issue for soccer players like you, I wanted to dedicate this section just to talk about how can you prevent blisters by simply following one particular instruction.
First things first, what causes blistering anyway?
There are actually many reasons that can cause blistering. However, the most obvious one is that of wearing socks or cleats that don’t fit your feet.
It’s generally known that people often choose the wrong size when buying soccer cleats. So, the first step is to make sure that you get the right size of shoes.
And here’s a video that would help you with that: Choose The Right Size of Soccer Cleats
As for socks, the mistake that people fall in is wearing regular socks which stretch easily making them eventually bigger than your feet. That’s the perfect formula for blisters.
But, since you’re here I think you know better.
So, the advice I would give you here is to choose carefully a pair of soccer shoes that fit your feet perfectly. And follow that with getting a pair of comfortable socks that fits.
I do believe that if you follow that advice, you’ll get to eliminate 90% chances of getting blisters.
What about the other 10%?
Sometimes, there’s just nothing you can do about it. That’s just the truth.
Nevertheless, it’s also recommended to double up your socks or to use tapes and bandages on spots that commonly get blisters. That’s in case the problem persists even when choosing the right type and size of socks.
As for what soccer socks I recommend, that’s the next section of this guide.
Reviews of Our Top Recommended Soccer Socks
You finally arrived to the most important section of this buying guide.
It’s now time to talk about the best soccer socks in 2018 in my opinion and to explain to you why I think everyone one of following seven socks deserved to be in this list.
There are three things I can certainly guarantee to you here, all of the socks that are in this list are:
- Made especially for soccer players (or athletes)
- They will certainly prevent blisters
- Will ensure no slippage whatsoever during the game.
Although, I got to say that some of these socks do a better job than others. But, I’ll be mentioning all of that in the reviews. Or, go directly to my summary table if you don’t feel like reading all of this.
Still Confused? I’m Here To Help
It’s alright to feel a little bit confused by all of these different socks that may look all the same to you. I get that.
But, keep in mind that these seven pairs of socks that I included in this guide are all premium socks. Basically, there’s no way you can make a mistake here because all of these socks are totally worth it.
Some of them are actually better than others such as the Trusox and the Nike Grip which I consider to be the best of the best. But if you find that their cost is more than what you can afford, you can go with any of the other socks.
As always, I’m here for you. If you have any questions about any of these socks, feel free to comment below or contact me directly if you want using our Contact Us page.
If you still confused about what socks to buy or what size to choose, I invite you to describe your situation in a comment and I’ll make sure that you’ll find the perfect pair for you. I take comments seriously and I mostly reply to them within a few hours. So, please guys don’t hesitate in using the comments section below.